Guild Of Excellence
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Statistics
We have 26 registered usersThe newest registered user is JiggyLordJrOur users have posted a total of 216 messagesin 45 subjects
Like/Tweet this page :
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Guild Of Excellence on your social bookmarking website
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Go down
Johnny Montoya
Johnny Montoya
Admin
https://guildofexcellence.forumotion.com

[YOUR NAME]-isms Empty [YOUR NAME]-isms

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:24 pm
Here are some of mine :

* All life is economics. All relationships are contracts. All interactions are transactions.
* Women are children.
* Sometimes you have to be vague to be accurate.
* Always get a second opinion.
* Only spend your money on what you genuinely need and what you genuinely want.
* You never quite know what others are thinking.
* Don't make it about the problem, make it about you.
* Ultimately, all anyone really cares about is themselves.
* Money is a mirror.

What are some of your own isms?
buckee
buckee

[YOUR NAME]-isms Empty Re: [YOUR NAME]-isms

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:25 pm
"When possible, I preferred to treat conquered people with mercy rather than destroying them."

Or, in the original Latin: "Externas gentes quibus tuto ignosci potuit conservare quam excidere malui."

Not actually me, but something I quote often that should be more famous. It's Augustus Caesar in his autobiography Res Gestae Divi Augusti, describing his foreign policy. I stumbled across it when I was teaching myself Latin years ago and I'm honestly surprised it's not an extremely famous quote, right up there with "all men are created equal" or "from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs." I use it a lot in political discussions because I find it the perfect counterbalance to the futile utopianism and hollow dreams of equality that all modern, secular politics is based on. Augustus wasn't trying to bring about world peace, build a perfect society, or achieve some sort of "equality" between nations or people because such notions are inherently ridiculous and impossible and he openly acknowledged this, unlike modern political leaders. He just preferred to be merciful when it was possible, which is the best any leader who isn't Jesus Christ himself will ever be able to do.

Johnny Montoya likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum